Vet-Advantage Digital Edition: JULY 2017

» MWI: GROWING IN PROFILE

New organizational structure at AmerisourceBergen highlights importance of its animal health business. READ MORE.

» a big probLEM

Banfield Pet Hospital’s recently released 2017 State of Pet Health Report shows the rate of obesity is rising. READ MORE.

» MAKE A PLAN

Five ways DSRs can help veterinary clinics prepare for top visit reasons. READ MORE.
 

» listening leads to innovation

When examining almost every client survey over the past 7 or 8 years in the veterinary industry, there are some loud messages coming through from animal owners. READ MORE.
 

» how practices can prepare for the millennial invasion

Millennials are now the primary pet-owning demographic at 35 percent of U.S.READ MORE.
 

» road tales

Warmer months present some challenges to personal transportation and maintenance. Autotrader offers 10 tips for keeping one’s car – and its passengers – in good shape this summer. READ MORE.
 

» dairy: stress relief

Milk production drops as temperatures and humidity rise. Producers can fight back with both simple, and more elaborate, heat abatement strategies. READ MORE.
 

» new capc study site supports dsrs and practices as parasitic diseases expand

Earlier this year, the Companion Animal Parasite Council (CAPC) forecast high heartworm disease levels in 2017 for most of the country. READ MORE.
 

» take the m&a train

But watch those headwinds. READ MORE.
 

» wilmah celebrates progress

Women in Leadership and Management in Animal Health (WILMAH) celebrated several firsts this spring. READ MORE.
 
May Digital Edition
CLICK HERE TO READ THE ISSUE

Vet-Advantage: BLOG UPDATE

THE CIV NEWS DSRS SHOULD BE DISCUSSING WITH VETERINARY PRACTICES NOW

Vet Advantage: There are a number of steps practices can take to protect their patients, and you can help make sure they’re doing just that.

Canine Influenza Virus (CIV) — in particular, the H3N2 strain that made national news during the 2015 Chicago outbreak — is making big news again. The AVMA reported that, “In May 2017, canine H3N2 influenza was diagnosed in dogs in Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Louisiana, and Illinois.” As of June 30, 2017, CIV had infected, “More than 82 dogs in Florida, killing at least four of them, and had temporarily closed both a leading Orlando shelter and an unidentified boarding facility,” according to an Orlando Sentinel news report. Click here to Read More.

 



15 BIG IDEAS VETERINARY DSRS CAN RECOMMEND TO BOOST FELINE CARE VISITS

Vet Advantage image: If DSRs can help practices create a more cat-friendly experience, clients are more likely to schedule visits.

Back in 2012, the “Bayer Veterinary Care Usage Study III – Feline Findings” revealed some major gaps in practice efforts to increase feline visits. 

When surveyed practices were asked, “[Have you] implemented changes in the last 2 years to reduce stress for cats?”… 24% said, “No, but we intend to,” and 35% said, “No we do not intend to.” That’s a total of 59% who hadn’t implemented change to reduct stress - a major barrier to visits.

In addition, when asked, " Has [the] staff been trained to make cat visit less stressful?"... 31% of the survey participants said No. To address these issues, the team behind the Bayer study recommended that practices follow four main strategies to reverse the trend of low feline visits. 
Click here to Read More.